Thursday, March 22, 2012

Accessing April CTP OLAP cube from Excel 2003

I installed Office 2003 first on a Windows XP machine.

I then installed SQL 2005 April CTP.

When I try accessing cubes from Excel, I get the error
"An error was encountered in the transport layer"

This error occurs when I try to setup the connection to my OLAP cube.

Thanks for any help you can offer

TaylorDo you have msolap80.dll on your machine? Somehow the 80 dll may have made itself the default for olap access. Try to re-register the olap 9.0 dll at command prompt

regsvr32 "%program files%\common files\system\ole db\msolap90.dll"|||

Hi
I have the same problem and i did the solotion to registe the olap 9.0.dll and it don't resolve my problems. Do you know why.

Thank you for your help.

|||

Hi,

I've the same problem and this solution has changed anything.

Please help me!!!!!!!!

|||Having the same issue here. No idea how to fix it at this point. Any ideas would be much appreciated. I am trying to access a cube in AS2005 from EXCEL 2003. Access through excel to the cube works fine from the server hosting the AS 2005 cube. It does not work when connecting to the cube from a remote machine.|||Error was fixed by adding the domain name to the username when logging into the Analysis Services server. <domain name>\<username>|||

In SQL2000 you could extract ptsfull.exe or ptslite.exe from the distribution disks and run these on the client to install OLAP 8.0 without installing the whole SQL Client tools suite. Pivot table services would then work in Excel against a SQL2000 Analysis Services database.

Try as I might I can't find these files on the SQL2005 distribution disks. Have they been renamed or is this approach no longer supported? Being able to install OLAP 9.0 on clients would be very useful.

Has anyone discovered the secret to this yet?

Regards

Nick

|||

You can install OLE DB 9.0 via a download from MS. I think this is what you are asking.... I found it at the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=d09c1d60-a13c-4479-9b91-9e8b9d835cdc&displaylang=en

I downloaded the file called "SQLServer2005_ASOLEDB9.msi".

You can also get to the same page by googling Analysis Services OLE DB 9.0 if the link fails. In addtion to installing this, I also had to install XML6.0 first. The installer for OLE DB 9.0 will let you know if this is needed. The XML 6.0 upgrade is also available on MS site though I was only able to locate through a Google search looking for "XML 6.0 download". I then pulled down the install called "msxml6.msi".

Hope this helps!

|||

Spot on - thanks very much

Regards

Nick

|||

I'm still having trouble with this as I still get the error.

I have XML6.0 installed, OLE DB 9.0 installed but I still get the error when trying to connect to the OLAP server. Anymore ideas?

Thanks

|||Save your password creating odc file (mark checkbox "Save password in file"). Should help

No comments:

Post a Comment