Sunday, March 25, 2012

Accessing datase from the report

I have a badly designed database. The SKU consists of a style and colour.
Both of those are variable length. There are some spaces between the 2. The
colour always has a '-' preceeding it. I can use string functions to break
it up for display no problem. However, I need to link to a table to get the
colour description.
How can I use code to access the colour table AFTER I have brokeon up the
SKU?If these are in the same dataset, you'll have to do it in SQL... using
charindex, and substring functions.
Wayne Snyder MCDBA, SQL Server MVP
Mariner, Charlotte, NC
I support the Professional Association for SQL Server ( PASS) and it''s
community of SQL Professionals.
"Asher_N" wrote:
> I have a badly designed database. The SKU consists of a style and colour.
> Both of those are variable length. There are some spaces between the 2. The
> colour always has a '-' preceeding it. I can use string functions to break
> it up for display no problem. However, I need to link to a table to get the
> colour description.
> How can I use code to access the colour table AFTER I have brokeon up the
> SKU?
>

No comments:

Post a Comment