Sunday, March 25, 2012

Accessing Dataset values

I have 2 datasets. One is used to give the values to a parameter and the
second one is used to populated the main table in my report.
The first one has a code and a Name like:
Code Name
c cat
d dog
I would like to display â'catâ' in the main table, but I just have the code
â'câ'. Is there a way to do it ?Soan,
I'm not sure I fully understand your scenario.
If you're after the 'label' from the chosen parameter, you can get it
using;
=Parameters!paramname.Label
Chris
Soan wrote:
> I have 2 datasets. One is used to give the values to a parameter and
> the second one is used to populated the main table in my report.
> The first one has a code and a Name like:
> Code Name
> c cat
> d dog
> I would like to display â'catâ' in the main table, but I just have
> the code â'câ'. Is there a way to do it ?|||I am looking for a function that returns the second value of the dataset when
i give the first one.
Something like Parameters!paramname.Label the difference is that the
parameter does not have the valued assigned (I want to access different
values in the dataset).
> I'm not sure I fully understand your scenario.
> If you're after the 'label' from the chosen parameter, you can get it
> using;
> =Parameters!paramname.Label
> Chris
>
> Soan wrote:
> > I have 2 datasets. One is used to give the values to a parameter and
> > the second one is used to populated the main table in my report.
> >
> > The first one has a code and a Name like:
> > Code Name
> > c cat
> > d dog
> >
> > I would like to display â'catâ' in the main table, but I just have
> > the code â'câ'. Is there a way to do it ?
>|||Soan, I think you just need a join in the second dataset on the table
from the 1st dataset that gives you the description. You should make
the dataset contain all the data you want to show in the data region.
eg dataset 1 gives salesperson list;
Select SalesId, FirstName from tblSalesperson
this is used in the parameter. The value is SalesId, the label is
FirstName.
the second dataset would return the orders for that salesperson, but
you want the sales persons fullname on it from the salespersons table;
Select O.OrderId, O.SalesId, S.FullName, O.Date, O.Value
From tblOrder O
Join tblSalesperson S On O.SalesId = S.SalesId
Where O.SalesId = @.parametername
You can achieve this in the Graphical query designer, but I always use
the Generic designer so can't really explain it that well.
Hope that helps.
Chris
Soan wrote:
> I am looking for a function that returns the second value of the
> dataset when i give the first one.
> Something like Parameters!paramname.Label the difference is that the
> parameter does not have the valued assigned (I want to access
> different values in the dataset).
>
> > I'm not sure I fully understand your scenario.
> > If you're after the 'label' from the chosen parameter, you can get
> > it using;
> > =Parameters!paramname.Label
> >
> > Chris
> >
> >
> > Soan wrote:
> >
> > > I have 2 datasets. One is used to give the values to a parameter
> > > and the second one is used to populated the main table in my
> > > report.
> > >
> > > The first one has a code and a Name like:
> > > Code Name
> > > c cat
> > > d dog
> > >
> > > I would like to display â'catâ' in the main table, but I just
> > > have the code â'câ'. Is there a way to do it ?
> >
> >

No comments:

Post a Comment