Sunday, March 25, 2012

accessing data from a web page

Hi all,
I need to create a web application.
I will probably need to web pages in this application. On the first
page, I would like to query a Sql table and list the rows returned by the
query in a List.
When user will click on any of the listed rows and click on Edit, I
would like to display the second page which will allow the user to edit the
selected record and save it back into the Sql table.
I know, I can easily create this app using ASP.Net. But the problem is
that the web pages will need to be accessed locally from laptops. IIS will
not be available to serve the pages. Each laptop will have Sql server
installed locally. So my app probably would have to use only
HTML,javascript/vbscript. It can't use ASP/ASP.Net.
I will appreciate it if you can provide me suggestions or links to
tutorials/samples that can help me with this application.
Thanks.Nikhil Patel wrote:
> Hi all,
> I need to create a web application.
> I will probably need to web pages in this application. On the first
> page, I would like to query a Sql table and list the rows returned by
> the query in a List.
> When user will click on any of the listed rows and click on Edit, I
> would like to display the second page which will allow the user to
> edit the selected record and save it back into the Sql table.
> I know, I can easily create this app using ASP.Net. But the
> problem is that the web pages will need to be accessed locally from
> laptops. IIS will not be available to serve the pages. Each laptop
> will have Sql server installed locally. So my app probably would have
> to use only HTML,javascript/vbscript. It can't use ASP/ASP.Net.
> I will appreciate it if you can provide me suggestions or links to
> tutorials/samples that can help me with this application.
> Thanks.
How about writing a fat client app to do this, instead of a web app.
David Gugick
Imceda Software
www.imceda.com|||Nikhil,
If you can't use IIS, then it kills the idea of creating a web solution.
Do you have access to any other tools such as VB/.Net or VC++/.Net? Are the
local laptops on the same domain as the web server? If so, you could add a
header for the website in IIS and build/serve the pages as you normally woul
d.
"Nikhil Patel" wrote:

> Hi all,
> I need to create a web application.
> I will probably need to web pages in this application. On the first
> page, I would like to query a Sql table and list the rows returned by the
> query in a List.
> When user will click on any of the listed rows and click on Edit, I
> would like to display the second page which will allow the user to edit th
e
> selected record and save it back into the Sql table.
> I know, I can easily create this app using ASP.Net. But the problem is
> that the web pages will need to be accessed locally from laptops. IIS will
> not be available to serve the pages. Each laptop will have Sql server
> installed locally. So my app probably would have to use only
> HTML,javascript/vbscript. It can't use ASP/ASP.Net.
> I will appreciate it if you can provide me suggestions or links to
> tutorials/samples that can help me with this application.
> Thanks.
>
>|||Thanks. But this application has to be a web app. because it is inteded to
be used in a browser of a third party app.
"David Gugick" <davidg-nospam@.imceda.com> wrote in message
news:eLjje1gCFHA.3928@.TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Nikhil Patel wrote:
> How about writing a fat client app to do this, instead of a web app.
> --
> David Gugick
> Imceda Software
> www.imceda.com

No comments:

Post a Comment