Sunday, March 25, 2012

accessing datasets / Field collections through custom code

Hi,

My report has multiple datasets, and I want to access the fields of a particular dataset from custom code. The problem is that the name of the dataset to use is only calculated during the execution of the custom code.

Allow me to illustrate:

public function Test(data as DataSets, fieldName as string)

dim datasetName as string = CalculateDatasetName()
dim ds as Dataset = data(datasetName)

' now here I want to get the fieldName out of the dataset.
' in the report, I would do something like
' First(Fields!fieldName.Value, datasetName)
' but in custom code, this obviously doesn't work.

end function

I've been looking for a way to accomplish this, but it seems you cannot get data from a dataset through custom code (there is only the commandtext property). Also it is not possible to pass the Fields collection as a parameter, as I do not know the dataset name when in the report designer.

I hope my problem description is clear.
Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

Thanks,
Phil

Hi Phil,

Look at the code below

public DataSet Dataset_name = new DataSet();

public DataTable DataTable_name = new DataTable();

public DataColumn DataColumn_name = new DataColumn();

public DataView View_name = new DataView();

public datatype function(name_of _variable_which catch_the column_value datatype)

{

DataColumn_name = new DataColumn("name_of _variable_which catch_the column_value", System.Type.GetType("System.String"))

}

Hope this helps

Priyank

No comments:

Post a Comment