Saturday, February 25, 2012

access SQL instance issue

I have a MSDE instance running on a server. I am able to start the services
for the
engine. But when I try to access the instance through "SQL Enterprise
Manager" I
get an error message.
"[server name] - SQL Server does not exist or access is denied."
I tried to access the instance through "Windows Authentication" and "SQL
Server Login" and I get the same error message.
I tried reinstalling "MSDE 2000A Desktop Engine" and SP4. I am able to start
the SQL services and I can restore a few databases from backup to the
instance.
Also during reinstallation of "MSDE 2000A Desktop Engine" I set the sa
password
using the SAPWD switch.
Questions:
Is there somthing that I am forgetting to do?
How can I access the instance through SQL Enterprise Manager?
Thanks in advance
Greg,
Instance? Have you tried servername\instancename?
HTH
Jerry
"Greg" <gregkh@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:40B1ACCA-63E6-4F99-9B0F-6FC8CBE54598@.microsoft.com...
>I have a MSDE instance running on a server. I am able to start the services
> for the
> engine. But when I try to access the instance through "SQL Enterprise
> Manager" I
> get an error message.
> "[server name] - SQL Server does not exist or access is denied."
> I tried to access the instance through "Windows Authentication" and "SQL
> Server Login" and I get the same error message.
> I tried reinstalling "MSDE 2000A Desktop Engine" and SP4. I am able to
> start
> the SQL services and I can restore a few databases from backup to the
> instance.
> Also during reinstallation of "MSDE 2000A Desktop Engine" I set the sa
> password
> using the SAPWD switch.
>
> Questions:
> Is there somthing that I am forgetting to do?
> How can I access the instance through SQL Enterprise Manager?
> Thanks in advance
|||What do you mean servername\instancename?
There is no place to enter that info in SQL Enterprise Manager.
Is there anywhere else I can enter that info?
"Jerry Spivey" wrote:

> Greg,
> Instance? Have you tried servername\instancename?
> HTH
> Jerry
> "Greg" <gregkh@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:40B1ACCA-63E6-4F99-9B0F-6FC8CBE54598@.microsoft.com...
>
>
|||Greg,
I don't use MSDE but if EM sees it as another SQL Server and not the default
install then it probably sees it as a named instance. When you're
registering MSDE. For more information on named instances see:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...setup_2xmb.asp
HTH
Jerry
"Greg" <gregkh@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:CC7BA23C-241A-46A8-94E5-BA01B2D02722@.microsoft.com...[vbcol=seagreen]
> What do you mean servername\instancename?
> There is no place to enter that info in SQL Enterprise Manager.
> Is there anywhere else I can enter that info?
> "Jerry Spivey" wrote:
|||Unfortunatly that did not help. I do not have SQL Server installed. Just an
MSDE instance. I need to access thaat instance from SQL Enterprise Manager. I
only installed EM from the SQL 2000 CD so that I can access the MSDE instance.
How about this, How do I put the MSDE instance in single-user mode?
"Jerry Spivey" wrote:

> Greg,
> I don't use MSDE but if EM sees it as another SQL Server and not the default
> install then it probably sees it as a named instance. When you're
> registering MSDE. For more information on named instances see:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...setup_2xmb.asp
> HTH
> Jerry
> "Greg" <gregkh@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:CC7BA23C-241A-46A8-94E5-BA01B2D02722@.microsoft.com...
>
>
|||Greg,
So MSDE is the only SQL Server installed? Try registering with the machine
IP address. Or if that doesn't work try:
(local)
HTH
Jerry
"Greg" <gregkh@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:A8E51772-6107-439F-A415-BB13EA4B1B31@.microsoft.com...[vbcol=seagreen]
> Unfortunatly that did not help. I do not have SQL Server installed. Just
> an
> MSDE instance. I need to access thaat instance from SQL Enterprise
> Manager. I
> only installed EM from the SQL 2000 CD so that I can access the MSDE
> instance.
> How about this, How do I put the MSDE instance in single-user mode?
>
> "Jerry Spivey" wrote:
|||EM and the MSDE instance are on the same machine. I tried local and IP
address and I still get the same error. Is there anything that I am
forgetting to do?
"Jerry Spivey" wrote:

> Greg,
> So MSDE is the only SQL Server installed? Try registering with the machine
> IP address. Or if that doesn't work try:
> (local)
> HTH
> Jerry
>
> "Greg" <gregkh@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:A8E51772-6107-439F-A415-BB13EA4B1B31@.microsoft.com...
>
>
|||Oh and yes MSDE is the only SQL Server that is installed.
"Greg" wrote:
[vbcol=seagreen]
> EM and the MSDE instance are on the same machine. I tried local and IP
> address and I still get the same error. Is there anything that I am
> forgetting to do?
> "Jerry Spivey" wrote:

No comments:

Post a Comment